Are you ready to crush every goal you put your mind to?
Let’s be honest here…why set a goal that you aren’t ready to crush?
The main objective of goal setting is to achieve the desired outcome. Otherwise, why waste the effort?
In last week’s blog post, I told you that you needed to have grit (or determination) in order to make your dreams come true. So, just how dedicated are you? Are you giving it your all? Today I’m going to put your grit to the test. I’m going to give you 10 action based tips to set empowering goals. If you take my advice, you’ll be able to absolutely crush every goal you set.
But it is going to take all the grit you can muster up.
This post is part of my new series…FROM SURVIVE TO THRIVE where we are going to build up the mindset to CRUSH our goals and go after our WILDEST dreams by building a plan and getting started NOW.
Tips to Crush Every Goal
I’ve always been obsessed with goals. I know that in order to set big goals, you have to look fear in the face. You have to have the right mindset. And of course, you must be 100% committed. But there are a few strategies I want to emphasize that will help you take your goal setting to the next level. I want you to crush every goal. I want you to exceed your expectations. I want you to live the life you were born to live. In order to do that, you have to be intentional with everything you do. And that includes goal setting.
Here are my tried and true best pieces of advice to help you crush your goals.
- Think it
- Ink it
- Do it
- Review it
Are you ABSOLUTELY clear on what you want in life? Is the vision of your dream life so crystal clear that it is what you see every time you close your eyes? If the answer is no, you need to spend some time in reflection. You need to get clear on the what and the why behind every goal you set. You have to be so intimately familiar with everything about your goals.
- Visualize the achievement of your goals – there is a reason that top athletes spend so much time visualizing their success. It works. Visualization is one of the most powerful tools you can utilize to boost your mental capability to crush every goal. When you visualize it, you will be empowered. You will feel good about your future. And when you are empowered, you will want to take action to turn that vision into a reality. So visualize your goals as though you had already crushed them. This will keep you focused and motivated.
- Review your goals – you have to keep your goals on your mind at all times. So think about them often. Turn the practice into a habit. Keeping your goals on the forefront of your mind will help ensure that you do not give into distraction or negativity.
- Commit to continuous improvement – improving yourself continuously will increase your probability of achieving your goals. You will learn new and improved strategies and be able to develop better plans. This is why you should commit to reading and learning constantly. Can you spend thirty minutes a day in self improvement? Read a book, take a training, attend a seminar…
The research is conclusive. You are at least 50% more likely to crush every goal just by writing them down. Some research suggests that number is as high as 70%. Most people know that they should write down their goals, but few ever do. Instead, they believe having an idea of their goals in their heads is enough. And they drift aimlessly through life without ever achieving much of anything. I am not claiming that by writing down your goals you are guaranteed to crush them. But it is an essential step and here is why.
- It will force you to get crystal clear on what you want. Writing down your goals forces you to choose specifically what you want, when you want it, why you want it, and how you are going to get it.
- It will motivate you to take action. Having written goals will push you towards action.
- It will help you overcome obstacles. Every goal you set (especially the life changing ones) will encounter resistance. There will be obstacles and roadblocks. You will start to feel it the moment you set your goals. But by writing your goals down, you will be able to focus on what you want instead of what stands in your way.
- It will help convince your subconscious mind. Writing your goals down is subconsciously letting your mind know that you mean business.
- It will enable you to see your progress. Life can be tough. Without progress that you can celebrate, you will feel like you are spinning your wheels and going nowhere. Written goals are similar to mile markers you see along the highway. They allow you to see how far you’ve come and how far you still need to go. And as you pass by each mile marker, you can celebrate.
Setting goals is a waste of time if you don’t get started. You have to take action every single day to crush every goal you set. I’ve devised a simple method that works for me, and I believe it can work for you. I call it the RULE OF THREE, and it goes like this.
- Set three quarterly goals or achievements that support your long-term goals.
- Set three monthly tasks that directly align with your quarterly goals.
- Set three weekly tasks that support your monthly goals
- Take three actions every single day that will lead you towards your goals. The actions can be as small as sending an email or making a phone call.
Whatever you do, you absolutely must take action EVERY SINGLE DAY towards your goals. Forward progress maintains momentum. Most people fail at this because they get distracted. They say they want to change their lives (lose the weight, get the degree, change their career, start their business) but all they do is watch TV or mindlessly surf the internet. They haven’t found the truth that daily action is the bridge that connects your dream to your reality. If you want to crush every goal you set, daily action is essential. This is non-negotiable.
The best part is that if you commit to doing this, it will become a habit. You will work towards your biggest goals on autopilot.
Review your progress often. I suggest you set a weekly appointment with yourself to sit down and review how you are doing towards your monthly and quarterly goals. By doing this, you will be able to assess if your current strategy is working or if you need to change things up.
It doesn’t matter how you reach your goals. All that matters is that you reach them. So review your progress and change up the path as often as you need to. Don’t let setbacks stop you or slow you down. Simply reroute. By doing this often, you will stay on track towards your bigger milestones.
Never lose sight of your grit. Never give up and never quit. Make a commitment to yourself right now to do whatever it takes to crush every goal you set. We sometimes tend to overestimate ourselves. When we do this and fail to reach our goals, we feel like failures. But living intentionally and progressing towards your dream life is a journey, not a destination.
Because I’m an engineer, I like to view the world in prescriptive steps. Goal setting is no different, and now I’ve come up with a step-by-step approach that will allow you to crush every goal.
- Think it
- Ink it
- Do it
- Review it
What tips do you have when it comes to crushing goals? Leave them in the comments!
OTHER POSTS IN THIS SERIES
The From Survive to Thrive Series is all about changing your mindset and taking decisive action. We are going to start putting a plan in place to take your dreams out of your head and make them a reality. As you know, planning is a critical piece of the puzzle. Be sure to download your worksheet because we are going to talk about it each week throughout the series.
I’ll be updating this post with links to the other posts in the series as I write them, so you may want to save or pin this post if you plan to follow along. You can also subscribe to email updates so you don’t miss anything.
**STAY TUNED FOR A SPECIAL BONUS COMING LATER IN THE SERIES**
Post 1: The Fine Art of Failure
Post 2: Developing a Growth Mindset
Post 3: How to Achieve your Dreams
Sign up to get your free e-book delivered right to your inbox